Moving house is a big life-altering decision. We understand you are nervous about it. Don’t worry, we have got your back! Here’s the ultimate checklist of house moving tips to help you relocate stress-free!
Change is a permanent part of life. Whether you move frequently or it is your first relocation experience, nothing works better than being prepared beforehand. Start earlier than later. Before we move ahead with moving house tips, you need to get acquainted with preparation hacks that ensure you start off on the right note.
- Declutter your house, Walk around every part of your moving house and discard items you have not used in the last year. Chances are high you will not use them in the future as well. Hoarding has never benefited anyone. It only increases your expenditure and relocation time.
- As soon as you know you are moving house, call all the utility companies and inform them. You’ll be thankful you got this out of the way earlier. It is very easy to forget later when you are busy with the actual move.
- Searching for packing tips for moving, aren’t we? But have you booked the right removalist yet? Find an experienced team of removers you can trust to relocate your belongings safely and securely.
- Set a budget. Yes, that’s the most important part. You don’t want to burn holes in your pocket by the end of the move. Moving a house can be shockingly expensive if you haven’t set up a budget yet. Don’t bait for shockers! Set your budget now. You can even use a live price estimator like the one on our website to help you estimate the cost of the move.
- Set aside some personal packaging supplies you can use at the time of emergency. Maybe you forgot to pack an important item that you just discovered lying in the attic. The movers have already left. What will you do? Well, pack it yourself. Keep supplies like packing paper, label boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, a few moving boxes, zip lock bags, cleaning materials, beer boxes, laundry baskets, plastic tubs, and paper plates handy. Yes, paper plates too. You never know when you might have to use them. Oh yes, one more thing. Keep spare light bulbs and toilet paper rolls handy as well. You might need them at the new house.
- Make it a point to eat as much food you already have at home. It is time to get creative and try new recipes using the ingredients you already have in your kitchen. You can also donate unexpired food at the local food bank.
- Always carry a first aid kit with you. We cannot stress this enough. Also, do not water your plants the day before moving house.
Less Bubble Wrap and Moving Boxes, More Decluttering
Yes, we talked about decluttering right in the beginning. But it deserves an entire section of its own. There’s so much stuff to pack in so little time. Only decluttering can help you. We cannot stress enough this because deep down we all get sentimental about something or the other and hoard it. It is time you let go. How? Let’s unravel.
- Closet purge. Get rid of clothes you haven’t worn in a year. Believe us when we say this, you are not going to wear it again!
- Look at your belongings and ask yourself- will you ever buy this again? If the answer is no, you already know what to do.
- Leaving behind your old furniture or rugs? Turn your moving process a bit simpler by donating them. Check out charities that pick up your donations.
- Still sentimental about a few things? Cannot get rid of them? Put them in a short term storage unit so you can evaluate them later.
Moving House: Packing tips for the unversed
- This is the most time-consuming aspect of the relocation. You are all ready to move into your new house. But you have to get packing first. It can take up to a few hours for the team of movers to pack all your stuff if you aren’t well prepared in advance. Here are a few packing tips that will make the moving process much easier for you.
- Got hanging clothes in your wardrobe? Leave them on the hanger. Group them up and wrap them in large plastic wrap. You can also leave them hanging in a wardrobe box.
- No need to empty your drawers. Leave the items in there and secure them by wrapping up the entire drawer with plastic wrap.
- Put yours out of season clothing, linens, socks, and towels to use. Use them to provide cushioning for your breakables like glassware. Bubble wrap all fragile items and keep them aside.
- Use bubble wrap to pack things that might spill. Alternatively, you can also pack them in small zip-lock bags.
- Color code all your moving boxes. This way you’ll be able to identify what goes where super fast! This is why we asked you to keep labelling and packing materials handy.
- Remember to carry your moving essentials kit with you. It should carry all your important documents, chargers, basic toiletries, a couple of changes of clothes, medications, etc.
- You can use laundry bins to pack non-essential clothing.
House Moving Tips: The Day You Move
It is a super tiring and stressful day.
Make sure you:
- Carry a cooler and easy to grab items. Water bottles and quick snacks will keep you going throughout the day. If you get a chance, cut up some fresh fruits and pack them in zip lock bags. You do need a lot of energy!
- Plan well for kids and pets in advance. If your kids are too young to help with moving, it is best to have them hang around at your friend’s house or at a daycare centre. Arrange alternate plans for your furry friend as well.
- None of the packing tips is useful if you don’t pack a day before the moving day. Last-minute packing is stressful and can slow down your entire day.
We hope these packing tips and relocating hacks simplify your moving experience. Follow these hacks and you’ll notice your move went better than you expected.